As I sit here, waiting for the blizzard to come, I start to think of some fun projects to do with my daughter. Even though my daughter is now 14 years old, I think these fun crafts are great for any age. And best of all, they can be made with most of the items that are probably already in your home.
These edible snowmen will be fun to make and fun to eat! To make edible snowmen, you will need the following ingredients:
* Giant-size marshmallows;
* White frosting;
* Mini chocolate chips or raisins;
* Mini M & M’s;
* Pretzel sticks;
* Peanut butter cups or chocolate kisses
- Take three large marshmallows and push them through one end of a pretzel stick.
- Give the snowman eyes by “gluing” raisins or mini chocolate chips to the frosting.
- Use two pretzel sticks as arms. (If you have mini marshmallows, you can also place them in the arms if you want)
- Decorate the rest of your snowman with M & M’s or any other small food décor items you may have around your home. Let your imagination guide you.
- Top your snowmen in adorable hats with peanut butter cups or chocolate kisses.
Puffy foam paint
Puffy foam painting is so easy and so much fun to do. To make puffy foam paint, you will need the following ingredients:
- White shaving cream;
- Elmer’s glue or any white glue that is similar to Elmer’s glue;
- Food coloring.
Mix equal amounts of shaving cream and glue for each paint color you want to make. Next, add 1-2 drops of your desired food coloring and mix with a craft stick or toothpick. A good idea is to use an old ice cube tray to make a myriad of different colors. Get creative and mix different colors to create unique shades.
When you’re done, let the paint set for 2 minutes. Next, paint!
Have a light show
To create a really fun light show, you will need the following:
- Balloons of various colors;
- Rubber bands;
- Pair of scissors.
To start, take a balloon and cut the side lengthwise. Next, stretch the balloon over the bulb part of a flashlight. Then secure the balloon in place with a rubber band. The more you stretch the balloon over the lantern, the thinner it will become, making a lighter and brighter colored beam.
Now, do your light show! Go into a dark room that has plenty of wall space and point your colored lanterns at the walls and have a fascinating light show. This also makes for great entertainment at sleepovers.
Spray painting the snow
Your kids can create a magical winter wonderland with homemade washable spray paint. To make washable spray paint, you will need the following ingredients:
- Warm water;
- Food coloring;
- Funnel or measuring cup;
- Spray bottles (if you use spray bottles that once contained cleaners, be sure to wash them well)
To start, mix 1/4 cup cornstarch with 1 cup warm water and food coloring; use as much food coloring as you need to get the desired shade you are looking for.
Next, remove the spray part from the spray bottle and place the funnel over the bottle opening. For paint in your spray bottle. If you don’t have a funnel, mix your paint in a container that has a spout, such as a measuring cup, to easily pour your paint into the spray bottle.
Now get out there and spray! Just be sure to only spray on your own property. To avoid clogging, shake the spray bottle frequently.
Who says the best things in life aren’t free?