Twibbons, or “Twitter ribbons” in support of a cause, event, sport, country, or whatever else, add an extra touch of fun and personality to your social media avatars. You have probably seen them at Christmas when people add Santa hats to their avatars; around November when people add poppies; or during the Ashes or any sports World Cup when people put their national colors on their avatars, to name a few popular examples.
As the goal of Twitter and Facebook is fun and personality, I highly encourage you to play with twibbons, although the standard rules of common sense apply if you are using social media to promote your business and choose something particularly political to support! ! You know best if it fits your brand, but I recommend keeping it light, especially if you’re just getting started on social media.
However, if you want to join in on the fun, it is very easy to do.
I. Add two ribbons to your avatar
- Go to the Twibbon website (link provided in step II).
- Login using your existing Facebook or Twitter login (depending on which one you would like to add the twibbon to).
- Search or search for the twibbon you are looking for (ie “Santa hat”).
- Once you’ve selected the one you want, click “Support This” next to the image.
And you are ready! Some of them, like santa hats, will give you a chance to resize or reposition it relative to your mug, so there will be an extra step here, but that’s basically all there is to it.
The tricky thing for many people is how to get rid of the twibbon once you have it there.
II. Removing a twibbon from your avatar
- Go to http://twibbon.com.
- Log in with your Facebook or Twitter login.
- In the upper right corner of the screen you will see your Facebook or Twitter name, and then “(My Profile)”. Click it.
- In the middle of the screen you will see your current avatar, complete with twibbon. Right above it you will see two tabs: one says “Profile”, and this is the tab you are currently on. The second says “History”. Click it.
- Choose the old and original avatar you want to go back to and click “Revert” below it.
- On the next screen, confirm your choice by clicking “Make this image my profile”.
And that’s it! Have fun with your twibboning!